Volunteer drivers needed!
Fancy doing something different and helping some of the most vulnerable in our local communities? Here’s your chance!
A local charity Oxfordshire Rural Community Council is looking for volunteer drivers within the County to help support a special pilot project:
Be a RED ARROW volunteer driver
You will benefit from:
- Being part of a 6 month special pilot project called ‘Circles of Support’
- Getting involved with people who need support in communities near you
- Meeting new people and making valuable contributions
- Being reimbursed for mileage undertaken (45p per mile)
- Training (if needed)
We are looking for anyone based in Oxfordshire that likes driving in their car and is comfortable dealing with older, vulnerable people. We want you to take part in a pilot project called Circles of Support as a special team of volunteer drivers known as the
Red Arrow Driving Team.
You need to be:
- Calm about driving in Oxfordshire
- Have flexible time to offer (you specify when you will be free or not)
- Happy and confident with particularly vulnerable people (training is available)
- Happy to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
The Oxfordshire Rural Community Council (ORCC) is working with Age UK Oxfordshire to help vulnerable, elderly people resettle in their communities following a period in hospital. This involves mobilising support in their community to help them re-connect with family, friends and social activities, which means a need for transport. As there are existing voluntary car schemes in Oxfordshire, they will be the first point of call, but when they cannot undertake a journey request from the project then the Red Arrow Driving Team steps in.
To get this project off the ground quickly, we want to recruit a total of 24 drivers in and around 7 targeted areas: Oxford, Banbury, Bicester, Witney, Wallingford, Faringdon and Didcot with the capacity to operate in surrounding rural areas.
The Age UK project is one of only 7 nationally funded by central Government. It is an experimental project and is time limited, funded until May 2015.
If you are interested, or you would like to discuss further, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Emily or Sue on 01865 883488